Sunday, May 29, 2011

Highway Construction

  
Large beam rests in place in new bridge

This new bridge is part of the new highway that is being built to extend Texas 130, the bypass around Austin, from its current terminus (May 2011) north of Lockhart, Texas where it ends against US 183, to connect with IH10 near Seguin, Texas.

The picture caught my eye because about 10 or so years ago I used to haul those bridge beams. The beams I hauled were manufactured in San Antonio or San Marcos Texas.  We took them all over Texas to highway construction projects.

This is a long beam. We hauled some up to 130 feet in length. That of course is a load that requires a permit. Shorter beams could be hauled on pole trailers or stretch flatbeds without a permit. But longer beams require more equipment and longer trailer capabilities.  Sometime I will catch a picture of a current beam hauler and post that.

I had a little experience one night. We were hauling beams north on IH35 to somewhere in the Dallas area. We were just past Temple (I was the last truck in a convoy of about 6 or 8 trucks.)  A bear spotted me and knew he had himself some real work to do here to take care of me and my lawbreaking. He came up to my cab hollaring at me what I thought I was doing out here at night breaking the law. I informed him that we were permitted and were allowed to drive at night on the interstate. He told me I was all wrong, collected all my paperwork, license and insurance card and went back to his car to write the ticket. In a few minutes he came back, threw everything back in my window and told me to get the *#&^& out of there.   That was it. No "Sorry, I was wrong."  I proceeded on and soon caught up with the rest as my truck could travel faster than the slower trucks in the convoy.

Oh well, it is all part of a days work.

No comments:

Post a Comment